Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bad News

I have to admit I never thought I would be writing these words in my thirties, maybe my eighties, but never did I think in my thirties, especially my early thirties that I would be writing that my young, healthy, 32 year-old husband has pneumonia. Yeah, PNEUMONIA. Did I mention he's 32. I thought 85 year-olds who are on their death bed get pneumonia. I mean, should I be preparing myself for a bout of gout? Now I sound like Dr. Suess.

Dan was really sick all last week and progressively got sicker as the week went on. Friday night (Halloween) I thought he might die, but he went to work and finally that night started an antibiotic. Saturday morning he couldn't breathe, only a minor problem. I drove him to the ER. He ordered his own chest x-ray, which looked like pneumonia to him, but to verify, he found a radiologist friend (who happened to be on call), who took one look at the x-ray and said "Dude, you have pneumonia". The whole ER visit took about 20 minutes! SWEET! Especially since I was waiting in the car with two, 2 year-old girls yelling.

Dan has been SLOWLY getting better since and actually took Monday and Tuesday off of work, which is the first time ever he has not gone to work because of being sick. He tried going into work Wednesday and one of the other doctors had him sent to the ER in a wheelchair! He was so embarrassed! Later that night he decided he felt good enough to go to a conference (again, against MY better judgement). He came home feeling sicker than ever. Then this morning at 5 am his alarm was going off again, as he was shivering and sweating with a fever.
I know at this point most people would say, "Gosh wifey, you're right. I am sick, I should stay home from work today."
That is, however, not what happened. After a few hours at work and sweating and shivering through a presentation, several people said he should go home (who said that first?).

Are all husbands this stubborn?

And, lastly, I wrote a big rant, but decided against posting any of it. I will just leave you with a picture.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Dang it Dan! Do you want die? Stay home! I think all husbands are that stubborn especially when it comes to being sick, but it's difficult for them to admit when we are right (which is about 95% of the time, or 100% in my case.)
I enjoyed the Obama picture. I too am resisting the urge to write a whole post about it so I'll just have to seethe on my own for a little while.
Such a cute picture of the kids at the top of your blog!

Kristina said...

I'm sorry Dan's been feeling so bad! Hopefully he'll feel better soon. Josh is the same way when he's sick. He still goes full force and doesn't want to go in and get checked or take any medicine. I don't get it. He's a doctor, but he doesn't want to do the normal things to get better. Maybe because he knows enough about medicine to know that he'll usually get better in the same amount of time no matter what he does. :)

Anonymous said...

Janie, Janie, Janie. Sorry to hear about Dan and the other thing.

The Cherry Family said...

Janie, only you could make a post about your husband on his death bed and make it entertaining and funny. And I wish I could have read the ranting on nobama. Maybe sometime in person.

The Russell Family said...

This is such a depressing post! Atleast we know that Dan is strong enough to over come his trial, thank goodness. But I am not sure that I can say the same for the US and its new trial..

Abbigail said...

I am so glad that Dan is okay. I hate, hate, hate pneumonia. I don't want to go to the hospital to visit him on his death bed like he did me. I am glad he is on the up swing.
I too love the photo of the kids at the top.
Please, no on else get pneumonia, PLEASE!!!!!
XXXXX

JAY AND JOSIE WEBB FAMILY said...

20 minutes in the ER! Now that's a great perk. I sure hope he is better now, that sounded terrible.

nickyfish said...

I am so sorry to hear about Dan. I hope he's doing better now. I'm not so sure if it's stubbornness, or just pressure from residency that keeps those husbands of ours going to work! Thank goodness someone at the hospital had enough sense to keep sending him home!

As for Obama, at least he has cute daughters, as for the rest . . . I guess we'll see what happens!