Saturday, April 17, 2010

Should I be offended?

Take a looksie at this!

They are being super mean about my kitchen! The worst line is "it has seen some unfortunate updates" DANG RUDE!

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/good-questions/how-to-bring-our-mid-century-kitchen-back-to-original-glory-good-questions-113906


For those of you who have been in my house you will see that this is MY kitchen they are discussing here. We just sold our house but we are still living here and renting it for another couple months.

It's so weird to have my kitchen critiqued like this. I mean, I guess they are wanting to restore it to it's "mid-century" glory, so thats a little off with what I was going for.
Probably the biggest reason I should not be offended is that the updates I did in this kitchen were done as cheap as possible. I think it looks pretty darn good all things considered. I just wanted a CLEAN, functional, kitchen with as much storage as possible for as cheap as possible--hence all the Ikea and Lowes items you see. I know the red paint needs to go. I really liked it six years ago, but have been really not liking it for the last two years. Who wants to repaint.

If money were no object here this is what I would do:
poured concrete floors:

counter tops:
I am loving this concrete looking countertop lately.

stainless steel appliances:

I am in love with this glass subway tile backsplash:
I also like it with a green tint to it.

lighting:

But then again, if money were not object I would just buy a new house......

10 comments:

Kristina said...

How funny that you found that! I think your kitchen looks great like it is. And I totally understand that you wouldn't go spending a fortune redoing a house you're staying in for only a few years. After only about a month in our current house, I started compiling a list of things I want/need in our next house since we'll likely be in it for quite a while. I keep telling my husband "If we were staying in this house longer, I'd want to . . ." :)

Lisa said...

I am laughing so hard right now. Belly laughing! Don't worry, you have great taste. I love that you found this, I'm sure your buyer would be mortified!

Abbigail said...

When I saw that post on apartment therApy I couldn't believe my eyes!!!! I didn't know if I should send it to u or not. I don't now how I would react. I sent it to Becky and apparently she thought it was funny. She told u right? I think ur kitchen looks great with what u did and how affordably you did it. I amso think it will look cool restored to it's former glory. May e u should have left them the bathroom wallpaper too!!!! Just remember it is not the buyers thAt are saying all those things. It is just the snotty blogreaders.

Jana said...

What an awesome way to start my day. Nothing like a good laugh!!!! I bet the new owners would die if they knew you saw this. How did you find it? I can only imagine what the new owners of my old home in Pittsburgh said. :)

Elizabeth said...

That is hysterical! How on earth did you find this post?

Janie said...

My dear Abbi I. found this on Apartment Therapy and I cannot believe she almost didn't tell me about it--actually it did come through Becky. Anyway, I like to know that other people think I my style sucks, keeps me less confident (sometimes I have problems with over confidence so that's a good thing) I am so glad your all getting a good laugh at my expense--actually I think it's pretty darn funny too!

Becky said...

I almost didn't forward Abbi's email to you, but realized that if the situation were reversed, I would want you to tell me about it and I know you're not a touchy-feely-get-your-feelings-hurt-easily kind of girl. It's awesome because now your kitchen is famous! (or infamous???) :)

Jill said...

Boy, they sure do LOVE the cabinets and their charm. But what on earth is so wrong with the IKEA shelving? Not a hit with the bloggers. I personally think your kitchen looks great! I couldn't believe how many people had something to say about it. Wow. It doesn't matter, you have awesome taste and you are on to your next kitchen before you know it!

Lisa said...

How did you find this?? I wouldn't be offended because it's theirs now - you don't have to worry about it!!! I must admit, I'm very jealous, but happy that you sold so quick.

nickyfish said...

I love your kitchen . . . mostly because I have such good memories of being there with you and your cute family! But I think you have great taste and did a fantastic job on a budget!!