Saturday, September 1, 2007

The terrible age ones

I seem to have forgotten in the space between Jake and Estee, just how hard it is to care for a one year old. I'm struggling to keep up with this little ball of sticky, messy, very cute destruction. I had this crazy fantasy, I guess, that she would never learn how to open cabinets, drawers, books (with paper pages), toilet lids, boxes of cereal (and pull the bag inside out, and dump). Mealtimes are the worst. The best way to describe them--messy, messy, messy and loud! Oh, how I dread mealtimes. I am sure my neighbors wonder what sort of torture chamber I have set up in my kitchen as they hear the loud screeching that bursts from the windows and doors every mealtime as Estee lets us know, the only way she can, that she WANTS MORE FOOD. Good thing we only eat three times a day.
She is also beginning to develop her "toddler property rules" instinct. In case you're not familiar with these rules here they are:


Toddler Property Laws


1. If I like it, it’s mine.



2. If it’s in my hand, it’s mine.



3. If I can take it from you, it’s mine.



4. If I had it a little while ago, it’s mine.



5. If it’s mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.



6. If I’m doing or building something all the pieces are mine.



7. If it looks just like mine, it’s mine.



8. If I saw it first, it’s mine.



9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.




10. If it’s broken, it’s yours (oh wait, the pieces are still mine).



I just have to get through the next year. I am sure life will be MUCH easier when she turns 2 ;).

5 comments:

Becky said...

LOL! I love the toddler property laws--so true! Estee is so dang adorable. I love the knee-high socks! Great post!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny and so true. I am right there with you about it being much better at age 2. I'll let you know! They are truly "universal" toddler rules. Love, Jill

k said...

ha! good list. i can definitely relate. but now we're getting into the terrible-26-month-no-naps. yikes.

Abbigail said...

Oh my! Her and Kitty obey the same rules. If any rules are broken it is followed with laying on the ground kicking and screaming! so funny!

The Cherry Family said...

Good thing she is cute . . . :) Being one year old used to be my favorite stage because they couldn't sass, but Caleb has a great teacher in his older brother, so this stage hasn't been what I was anticipating. Looks like we're both a little disappointed!