After being home from Miami for about 12 hours we found ourselves leaving our children in the trusting hands of Grandma and Aunt Lindsay once again and heading to the airport for some more adventure and airline travel. This time we were heading out to Los Angeles. Dan and I had both gotten head colds from our trip to Miami (at least we were told that EVERYONE who flies into Miami gets a cold) I didn't really believe it and still don't really except that I did get a cold. So our ears were all plugged and it hurt like crazy from all the pressure on the airplane. I kept blowing my nose (sorry this is gross) because that was the only thing that would pop my ears and make it stop hurting. Dan kept blowing his nose too and I am sure the poor lady sitting next to us has a story now of her worse airplane experience thanks to us. She kept putting on hand sanitizer--seriously.
Our hotel was actually in Anaheim and just 2 short blocks from Disneyland (our kids were jealous, but we didn't go to Disneyland so it was OK--hotels are just cheaper there, and um, yeah, I go where it's cheap) and it was really close to where Dan needed to be the next day. Dan didn't have any meetings until the next day so we checked out the area and found a great outdoor shopping mall which Dan quickly grew tired of but I knew I would be back to the next day while Dan was occupied. We found a really good Mexican restaurant that had fresh Guacamole and the best salsa I can remember. In fact it was so good we went back the next day! There is no good Mexican food anywhere near us back in Michigan so we have to take advantage when we get the chance :)
While I shopped to my hearts content with no husband or kids slowing me down. I found out later that Dan got a tour (keep in mind this is for a surgery fellowship where you never get to leave the hospital) of the two local beaches!!! So, I didn't get to even see the beach while in California but they took Dan on tour. Whatever, if we actually move there I will have to make up for that bit of injustice. After our second visit to the Mexican restaurant we left our UC Irvine adventures and we drove to Fresno, CA.
This is a view of the mountains between LA and Fresno, I heard they call this "the vineyard". It was beautiful and this picture does not give it justice because I took it while going 75 through a car window. Oh, don't worry I wasn't driving and taking pictures. Dan was driving see picture below of Dan--driving. Try not to be too jealous of the TWO (yeah, we only took two!) really great pictures that we took while in California.
At least we were both in the picture--look into his glasses and you can see a little miniature me taking the picture of him.We had a great time while in Fresno and we were even able to see the Poulsens, some friends from Ann Arbor. We had fun seeing them and their cute family, eating good food, watching the Jazz game, catching up, and getting the low-down on Fresno from them. Thanks Poulsens for being great hosts and sharing your mothers day with us!
We left Fresno at 5:00 Sunday night and got back to Ann Arbor at 5:00 AM the next day! We had a 3 hour layover in Los Angeles. Dan being his usual charming self got us into the sky perks lounge. Where we had free drinks, snacks, Internet access, private bathrooms, and couches and chairs to lounge around on. This seemed like such a luxury (compared with normal airport accommodations) way to go Dan! The three hour layover went by so fast when we went down to board our plane we just about missed it--we were the last ones on.
I really missed seeing my own kids on Mothers Day, but when I got home Jake had made me such wonderful cards and they were all so happy to see me it was great to be home and see my cuties. It was also much easier knowing Dan's great mom was here with the kids and that they were safe and happy and even a little spoiled :)
While were gone Abby was in the Science Olympiad in two events--Mystery Architecture and Write it/Build it. She did a great job and I felt bad to miss it and miss seeing her in it she is so smart and talented. Andy was in two track meets and he did really good. He has come so far from hating running to actually being on the track team and loving it. I love watching him want to improve and working hard--makes a mom proud.
.....Get set.....
..Go!
Suffering through the rain and ready to relay.
Jake had a couple soccer games which was fun for Grandma and Lindsay to watch. Estee spent a large portion of the time playing barbies with Grandma. She had a grand time and now won't sleep without her barbie, and I'm sure she is bored to death with mom now that Grandma is gone!
Thanks Grandma and Lindsay!








8 comments:
Glad you had fun, but glad you're back. So glad everything went well while you were away. We need to get Estee and Lucy together to play...
I stopped by while you guys were in Miami and was hating you all. I love Miami and I know how good it is since we were just there! ;) Anyway, that tiger picture Jake drew seriously rules! He should get an honorary MFA for that alone. We have got to get together.
We are so glad you guys had time to stop by. We loved hanging out and catching up. Make sure you keep us posted on what you decided to do!
Wow, I'm so jealous of your two warm trips (i'm watching rain out my window, oh well, at least it isn't snow...)Make sure you let everyone know what you find out about moving on!
Janie,
I just loved all the pictures, especially the ones of Andy running track! Have you thought any more about where to take Mom? I guess you have a lot going on at the moment. Well, love you. Jill
Wow Janie, how long does one blog post take you to create? That is some awesome blogging! Jake is so cute with all the things he made for you. What a sweetie pie!
Sounds like you guys had a couple of great trips. I am so jealous you got away without kids. How are the decisions coming, I will give you a call. I miss you so much and am excited for your next step!
Wow! Sounds like you have been having fun! Your Kids are so cute, and very talented. It is really nice to get away for a bit. I loved our 5 days away :)
Post a Comment