Buckeye fans, enjoy!
The following post was originally posted on michiganzone.blogspot.com. We have copied it here, but edited it to make it more family friendly.
The Best D*** Copycats in the Land!
Now, we all know how those Bucks just love their band. When they're not throwing things or spitting at ours, they're praising theirs. Geez, they're so proud of these folks, they call the OSU squad, ahem, "The Best D*** Band in the Land."But let's take a closer look, shall we? I think you'll find it's hard to call yourselves the "best" when you're not even the most original and stole the thing you're most known for. Let's start with their uniforms, shall we?

Here they are, the "the OSU" marching band. Look at those uniforms, huh? Woo eee! Clean, crisp......Sporting those distinctive red and black hats with the red patches near the shoulders.

What style, what class...hey, what the...!? I've seen that look before. Is it just me or do they bear a striking resemblance to the guy standing outside the mall ringing the bell:

Yes, apparently the Best D*** Band in the Central Ohio Region Not Counting Most High Schools (BDBCORNCMHS) obviously got their fashion sense from the Salvation Army Band (SAB). Unless of course they're one and the same. Sort of like Clark Kent and Superman. I mean, has anybody every seen the BDBCORNCMHS and the SAB in the same place at the same time? I dunno. Looks to me like they're forming a "Script O" around the little red bucket below:

Speaking of which...
Now let's talk about the thing the Best D*** Salvation Army Band in the Land claims to be known for -- the "Script Ohio." Yes, it truly is one of the great traditions in all of college football: When these young musicians, after putting in hours at the mall helping raise money for the poor, prove they know how to spell four-letter words then honor the fattest guy on the squad by letting him run out and dot the "i", usually getting it right on his very first try.
In fact, here is a picture of the very first time the Buckeyes ever performed "Script Ohio," way back in 1936. Impressive, huh? Only problem is...

...That's four years AFTER the University of Michigan marching band did the first "Script Ohio" in the 'Shoe in 1932! (picture below). Even worse, the OSU band director in '36 was also present at the '32 game but claimed he got the idea somewhere else! Yeah, riiiiight. This guy is the Scooter Libby of band directors!Sad to say, looks like the thing tOSU band is best at is copying the originality of the Wolverines.

Gee, I wonder how Buckeye fans feel, knowing their band is "best" known for something they copied off Michigan? But then again, maybe trying to be like us is a good thing. Heck, maybe someday their fans will copy our class and bring that back to Columbus as well. But I doubt it.
Go Blue!







2 comments:
And the crowd says "Go Blue!"
Oh the crowd does not say, "Go Blue", unless you're in ANN ARBOR! I think to keep peace in the family I will not bring this blog entry to Jim's attention. And why on earth in 19whatever did Michigan script, OHIO? Why didn't they script "Michigan" and they could be famous for that? I keep hearing this story over and over-we need to get past it. I realize there is a little jealousy over the greatness of "THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY" but that is to be expected I guess. We'll just let this little dispute be settled on the field, shall we? ;)
Post a Comment