Cute little members of the family or annoying poo machines?
Ohhhh, he is kind of cute. This is Socks the bully of the cage.
So, I have been feeling a little guilty lately about saying that I want my Guinea Pigs to die. Let me explain. In this house of ours with four children I am the only one who feeds, cleans up after, or it seems even looks at the Guinea Pigs (OK, I take it back Estee is always trying to feed them, but it's really not helpful). When we first got a Guinea Pig he was showered with attention and food by all members of the family (Ok, maybe not Dan--he's never really been a fan and didn't want to get them). Then the attention dwindled and I felt like he (or she can't tell for sure) was lonely. So, we got another Guinea Pig so "Socks" would not be lonely. Now came the problem of "Socks" being mean to "Scruffy". Socks thinks he rules the cage because he was there first. He seriously hoards the food and water and squeaks at Scruffy when he tries to get some. We would have to take Socks out the cage and let Scruffy eat, then put Socks back in. After a while Socks began to get a little nicer but, he still really needs to chill out.
Here is Scruffy peeking through his little house; he is adorable and harassed constantly by Socks.
What I have failed to mention yet is for the last three years I have been cleaning up the little rodent’s poo! For a long time it was weekly that I would clean out the cage (which I lovingly built for them), now it's at least every other week. Unless, of course someone is going to be staying with us then I will clean it out of fear of being reported to The Humane Society. But the main point is I am so sick of cleaning up after these cute little balls of fur. And, I'm not going to go into details about how they refuse to walk on the leash I bought them, won't run in the ball I got them (they are lazy), and all that poo they poo, they actually EAT! We also had to move them into the Laundry room so I could keep them and their poo away from Estee while she is at the stage of putting everything in her mouth (I am sure I don't need to explain why that is a problem).
So, you see, it is not out of meanness that I say I want them to die. I know when they die they will go to Guinea Pig heaven and run in grassy fields and eat all of the green stuff they want without being squeaked at. And there cage will always be clean and I won't have to do it. :)

So, I have been feeling a little guilty lately about saying that I want my Guinea Pigs to die. Let me explain. In this house of ours with four children I am the only one who feeds, cleans up after, or it seems even looks at the Guinea Pigs (OK, I take it back Estee is always trying to feed them, but it's really not helpful). When we first got a Guinea Pig he was showered with attention and food by all members of the family (Ok, maybe not Dan--he's never really been a fan and didn't want to get them). Then the attention dwindled and I felt like he (or she can't tell for sure) was lonely. So, we got another Guinea Pig so "Socks" would not be lonely. Now came the problem of "Socks" being mean to "Scruffy". Socks thinks he rules the cage because he was there first. He seriously hoards the food and water and squeaks at Scruffy when he tries to get some. We would have to take Socks out the cage and let Scruffy eat, then put Socks back in. After a while Socks began to get a little nicer but, he still really needs to chill out.
Here is Scruffy peeking through his little house; he is adorable and harassed constantly by Socks.What I have failed to mention yet is for the last three years I have been cleaning up the little rodent’s poo! For a long time it was weekly that I would clean out the cage (which I lovingly built for them), now it's at least every other week. Unless, of course someone is going to be staying with us then I will clean it out of fear of being reported to The Humane Society. But the main point is I am so sick of cleaning up after these cute little balls of fur. And, I'm not going to go into details about how they refuse to walk on the leash I bought them, won't run in the ball I got them (they are lazy), and all that poo they poo, they actually EAT! We also had to move them into the Laundry room so I could keep them and their poo away from Estee while she is at the stage of putting everything in her mouth (I am sure I don't need to explain why that is a problem).
So, you see, it is not out of meanness that I say I want them to die. I know when they die they will go to Guinea Pig heaven and run in grassy fields and eat all of the green stuff they want without being squeaked at. And there cage will always be clean and I won't have to do it. :)

See my poo! Isn't it disgusting!








8 comments:
I completely understand. guinea pigs are freaking adorable, but I am sure they are not as much fun as one would think. I had three bunnies as a child and I think my parents were counting down the days until they passed. They didn't like to be held and always needed their nails and teeth clipped. Kitty loves your little scruffy and talks about him all of the time. I even thought about getting one myself until I remembered your description of taking care of them. maybe I will get a rabbit! ;)
I thought that I would remind you that in many parts of the world guinea pigs area food source. Maybe a nice meal of stew with a new kind of meat would be good...
If everything else fails may I remind you that we have several cats that I would be more then willing to send you. They would love to "play" with the guinea pigs.
Preston
Grandpa Ward,
You are gross!!!! : )
We would never eat our own pets or let your cats "play" with them!
Janie, according to me, you are mom of the year for even having them, let alone taking care of them. Kennedy is dying for an indoor cat right now, luckily I'm allergic:). when I told her no for the 90th time today, she told me and dustin that if we ever live under her roof, we would follow her rules. Can't wait till she's a teenager.
love Shelli
Love the new pink and black blog, you are so HIP! My kids will never think I am a cool mom because we will never have real pets. By real I mean high maintenance....stuffed animals work for me!
Hilarious, Janie! I have been hoping that our cat kicks the bucket soon. She'll be 14 this year and is unfortunately, showing no signs of slowing down. I guess I shouldn't hope for that or I'll come home one day and wonder what the stink of rotting meat is . . .
Janie,
I laughed really hard at this entry of yours. I thought Snappy our....I can't even remember what on earth it is called! It's a crab that finds a shell and lives in it? Anyway, I thought it was high enough maintenance. It got lost for a month somewhere in our home in Ohio until I had fasted for it on Fast Sunday and then I found it under the entertainment center...alive but maybe a bit hungry. Jill
Jill,
That is hillarous! I am sure I have never heard that "Snappy" story! So, funny. We actually lost both of these Guinea pigs outside one day. They were lost overnight. We said a serious prayer the next day (Sunday, right after church) and we went right out and found them hiding behind the garage. I thought for sure some wild skunk or something had eaten them! Faith building stuff. Lucky for our pets we've got the Holy Ghost on our side!
Post a Comment