After eating so many blueberries I was about ready to pop I started mixing them in my smoothies, pancakes, muffins, yogurt etc. I still had a lot of blueberries, so I tried out some new recipes. I made, pie, tart, cobbler, salad dressing and salad. My favorite was the blueberry salad dressing with blueberry Cobb salad. With my history of taking pictures of my food I, of course, have some pictures of some of these things!
Salad:
4 cups spinach or mixed greens.
1 large fresh tomato, diced
1-2 ripe avocado, diced
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/2 cashews or other nut of your choice
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/4-1/2 red onion, diced
can also add or replace other ingredients with boiled and diced eggs, sunflower seeds, grilled chicken, diced, grilled shrimp or whatever else you like on Cobb salad and what you have available.
Dressing:
1/2 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
1/3 cup splenda or sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon olive oil
a few grinds of pepper
Mash up blueberries with a fork or in a blender if you want it finer. Add all the other ingredients, mix and enjoy!
Blueberry cobbler
Fresh Blueberry Tart
Crust:
1 cube butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
(you can add some chopped nuts or oatmeal)
press into a tart pan and bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes or until very lightly browned.
cool completely
melt 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips and spread evenly over crust (this prevents filling from making crust soggy)
Chill until ready to use
Filling:
3 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp cornstarch
2 1/2 tbsp water
Combine 1 1/2 cups of the fresh blueberries with 3/4 cup sugar in a medium sauce pan. Whisk together water and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir into blueberry mixture. Cook, over medium-high heat, until berry mixture comes to a simmer and begins to thicken. Stirring occasionally, boil for about 1 minute. Transfer berry mixture to a large bowl to cool to room temperature.When berry mixture has cooled, stir in remaining fresh blueberries. Pour blueberry mixture into prepared crust and spread into an even layer. Refrigerate until ready to serve.







11 comments:
Wow, yum! Isn't it fun when you are "forced" to branch out and find new recipes? Yeah, I wish we lived closer!
I wondered if you were rooting for the U or Michigan. Looks fun to have Lisa and Chris come for the game!!! I love all of your blueberry ideas. They look so awesome and yummy!!. Thanks for the great recipies. Are you coming to Utah anytime soon?
Shelli--I so wish we lived closer, I would probably never leave you alone! Maybe some day :)
Rebecca-
No plans for Utah, maybe over Christmas break! I will let you know when and if it will happen!
So when do I get to come and eat all this yumminess? Oh, tomorrow you say? :)
I love it when you give me new yummy recipes, now if only mine would turn out as good as yours looks! miss ya
You didn't picture the pie you made -- it was delish! We're still loving our blueberries, I'm sad I only went once. But it's on to the finer berry: Raspberries!!! Our plan is to go this weekend. You should join us!
Those blueberries look sooooo good! Could you possibly bring some to San Diego next month? Happy Birthday!!! Love ya
I am so amazed all the time by the yummy stuff you make! When is the jorgy-girl cooking gene going to rub off on me?? It's not fair at all!!
The blueberries are making me really hungry.
Hi I just found your blog through Denise's. It was great to see your cute family! Are you still playing any soccer?
also are you sure tiny spicy from Mandarian? What about Famosa? I actually cannot find it better than in Logan anywhere we have lived.
Take care!
Charie
Hi Charie!
Long time!! How are you?
I wish I was playing soccer! I keep thinking life will slow down and I will get to play soccer instead of just watching my kids play soccer!
Yes, Mandarin Garden has the best Tiny Spicy! Everytime we go back to visit we want to put some on ice and fly it to Michigan with us! My kids even love it!
Thanks for the great recipe ideas! I miss the sweet blueberry flavor in Ann Arbor, they're a bit tart in Salt Lake, but I will give those recipes a try. And you should play soccer Janie . . . I played on a women's team last fall and it was awesome. I totally miss it this year, but man did my out of shape body take a beating. You should move to Utah and we could play on a team together!
Post a Comment