Monday, March 31, 2008

Recipes

Here are some of the requested recipes!

I got the guacamole salad recipe from Barefoot Contessa cookbook it's a great cookbook!
Guacamole Salad
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (2 cups or 16 oz)
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, and 1/2 diced
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup small-diced red onion
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers) *I only added 1 pepper*
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2 inch diced

Place the tomatoes, yellow peppers, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables. Toss well.
Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
1 lb butter (4 cubes)
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
4 cups oatmeal
chocolate chips (any kind and as much as you like)
nuts (optional, also any kind and as much as you like)

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs and beat well. Add salt, baking powder, soda, and vanilla. Pour flour in gradually while mixing. Grind oatmeal in blender (I usually don't do that part) add to mixture. Stir in Chocolate chips and nuts. Refrigerate for 2 hours (I usually don't do that either). Place on a greased cookie sheet, bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes.

Chocolate and Caramel Cupcakes

This one was made up so I don't have a recipe. But, what I did was I got some recipe on line for a yummy chocolate cake. I think it was on Martha Stewart.com and tweaked it a little according to what ingredients I had on hand. I then filled the muffin tins half full then put a caramel in half of then and a Reisen candy in half of them. Then I filled them up the rest of the way with batter, and baked them. They turned out pretty yummy with a little surprise in the middle!

French Onion Soup

I don't have a recipe for this one either! I looked at a lot of different recipes and just kind of put a little from each recipe! I can't remember what I did for sure. Lots of onions. When the soup is done put a serving in a oven safe bowl and put a slice of french bread on top and load it with lots of cheese (fresh Parmesan, Swiss, Romano all of those are good) and broil it in the oven. The cheese is the best part anyway!

4 comments:

Byron said...

Seriously, Janie, my mouth is watering. I remember eating this avocado salad and falling madly in love. Can we BBQ next week during spring break and you bring it again? PLEASE!!! Or at least post something new so I don't have to see that delicious picture at the top anymore.

Jill said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll let you know how they turn out, I think I'll try them all!

LL said...

You are the best cook - I can't wait to have a kitchen again so I can try to replicate your deliciousness!!

Isabelle Cannon said...

Janie-these recipes are awesome. I just read your message on my blog and we did find a house in Utah but have not sold our home here. The market sucks and there are a ton of homes for sale. hopefully soon. Are you thinking anymore about St. George? What are your plans?