Thursday, March 6, 2008

Utah Trip (continued)

I can't believe I forgot to mention this. When we were heading onto the plane from SLC back home we were taking forever to get through security. Even longer than you would think it would take a family of six including one year-old in a stroller to get through. So finally one of the security guards comes over and asks if the back pack (which belongs to Jake) was ours. "Yes", we said. He said "who does it belong to", we looked at Jake (who is 7, and looks very innocent) and said "it's Jakes". The security guy then says "does he have a toy gun?" Then I remembered seeing the toy gun at grandma house and I felt really stupid and said something like "Oh, Jake did you bring that with you!" After a big ordeal, they had already called police, because "they
have to call police whenever a gun is involved" we were finally getting our things back. Except for the gun, they had to keep that. I am sure all the people behind us were so glad they picked our line :)

The culprit

The funniest part about the whole thing is the gun got there just fine going through security at the Detroit airport--no problem! It makes me think all those fun security checks are so worth it!

Other fun things I didn't mention in my first post about our Utah Trip. I was trying not to remember some of these things!
A cute little one year-old with a nasty little ear infection while flying (ear pressure makes them very unhappy) as if flying with a one year-old is not painful enough. A grumpy lady on the airplane right in front of us (I cannot for the life of me figure out why she would be unhappy about sitting in front of us?), but still she was a grump! ER visit (6 am) proceeding a night full of crying (at our friend's house, who just watched our child all day and all night) and no sleeping by me at all that night. Dan missing a lot of his conference because he went to the ER with me. We waited for 45 minutes for an ER doc to come and see us. Finally Dan just used there otoscope and looked in and diagnosed an ear infection. We walked out of the ER and thanked them for there equipment (still hadn't seen the ER doc, and we were the only ones there!) What really could he have told us that the otolaryngologist missed? Dan called a prescription in and we went and got some antibiotics.

While at Snowbird skiing I thought I had lost Abby and had ski patrol out looking for her. I ended up finding her (or rather she found me and flew by me and right into the little pit where you get onto the lift!). They stopped the lift helped her out and I said, "thanks you can call off ski patrol now I found her" . They looked all surprised and said "oh, this is her" I was glad I hadn't waited for them to find her! Right about this time it started snowing REALLY hard and the lift stopped working and the lift was the only way out of there. Dan was back with Andy waiting for us with the car because we had already taken so long finding Abby. I was so tired and we needed to hurry to make it down the canyon and to our dinner on time. So me and Abby and Jake started hiking out. After about 15 minutes and complaining and hiking halfway up the hill--the lift started working again! Great! So I said "should we keep hiking or go ride the lift up and ski back down". They said they wanted to keep hiking so we hiked about 5 more steps and they both said "let's go ride the lift". Well, Ok then I got my ski's back on after some work getting all the snow out of my boots (from hiking up the mountain). Then after another 10 minutes of helping Jake get his boots into his skis and Abby having made no progress to get her skis back on and me about ready to seriously lose it. I decided to ski down and ask the lift people to get me the heck out of there. They ended up snowmobiling us out one by one! It was pretty embarrassing but I was just happy to be getting out of there. Jake said that the snowmobile ride was his favorite part of the day!

9 comments:

Becky said...

And you're still sane??? Oh my gosh, Janie, I can't believe the gun part. I thought you had had enough with all the other things that went wrong, but no, you had to get stopped at security because of a toy gun . . . sigh! I feel for you, I really do!

Dustin and Shelli Chambers said...

Sounds like you had quite a trip! My mom mentioned you were in town and I wish we could have come down to see you! Dustin has been on-call a lot lately, and we haven't been to Utah since Christmas - and I'm going crazy I miss everyone so mcuh. I don't know how you do it!

Anonymous said...

I am suprised you were able to forget those beauties!
Andy got through security (twice!)with a utility knife in his coat pocket. He didn't realize it was there. Then I had a girlfriend who wasn't allowed on with a 6 month old tube of mascara, BUT got through with not only 1, but 2! lighters! Gotta love Detroit security!

Lisa said...

Wow! Isn't traveling with kids adventurous? You're really helping me look forward to the 23 hour plane trip we've got coming up on Saturday!

An said...

I can't believe you forgot to mention all of those quality parts of the trip. The part on the ski slope sounds torturous!

.............................. said...

What a crazy trip! The toy gun story is awesome, gotta love Detroit Airport. I am glad that over all you had a great time.

Byron said...

Life is always exciting with kids, that's for sure, not to mention traveling with them. Glad you all made it back to MI ok...

Abbigail said...

wow...

Anonymous said...

Janie,
It was worth all of that for us to get to see you!!! We love you- All the Blotters.